In the 1880s, a few adventurous souls tried the novelty of downhill skiing equipped with hand-hewn wooden boards strapped to their boots, but the general public didn’t embrace skiing until the 1930s. Glenwood’s Red Mountain Ski Area opened for business in 1941. At the time, Red Mountain, which was served by one of the nation’s longest chairlifts, was considered one of the best ski areas in the Western U.S.
The old ski lift towers are still plainly visible on the Red Mountain/Jeanne Golay Trail. From 1965 to 1966, the area operated as Glenwood Mountain Park, but due to unpredictable snowfall and competition from more sophisticated ski areas, operations on Red Mountain permanently ceased in 1966.
In 1947, brothers Don and John Vanderhoof foresaw that skiing was here to stay. They opened Holiday Hill, situated approximately at the current site of Sunlight Mountain Resorts Showdown trail. With only the one run, skiers were pulled up the hill by two 1,200-foot tow ropes powered by the engine of a 1929 Buick Touring car!